- What do you usually sew? all sorts of things, whatever strikes my fancy really. clothes for the boys and myself, handbags, stuff for the house.
- When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?) with no project in mind, 2 yards for knits, anywhere from 1/2 yard to a yard of wovens, but am rethinking prints for the boys, might need more as they are getting bigger.
- Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need? err both? i tend to look for something I need but get distracted by pretty fabric.
- Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it? YES! Everything gets prewashed the second it comes into the house. nothing worse than having a project ruined due to color running (turquoise based dyes take the longest to rinse out so turquoise and red are the worst offends here) or shrinkage. I didn't prewash stuff in college cause I was broke and ended up with items that didn't work out. Plus, I like folding fabric.
- Do you iron it? mheh sometimes. depends on my mood. and wrinkliness.
- How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.) color/intended project for quilters cotton. subject matter for knits (i am a geek I reorganized so all the land based animals and water based animals were all together.) by color for solids.
- Do you have any special folding techniques? yup just started ruler folding and it's so great! I can actually see what all of the prints are.
- How do you store your fabric? On shelves in the closet, 2 bookcases and 2 rubbermaids for the wool and velours. Drawers for scraps and fat quarters
- What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash? buy boring coordinates and don't worry about having a rainbow of color if there is a color you don't like (not much pink for me!)
- When do you say enough is enough? that's tough. when i spend more time picking fabric up off the floor cause the boys were 'sewing' than actually sewing
- What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects? lined pants for the boys. skirts for me.
- Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it!
its from an oop line amy butler charm.
- What’s your definition of the perfect stash? when i have enough to sew but not too much that I can't move around!
quilter's cottons and a few solid knits
Knits for the boys
there is more in the closet but it is impossible to take a decent pic of!